Sending a personalized email drives the best conversion for your outreach campaigns. According to a report by Adestra, 82% of marketers reported an increase in open rates through email personalization, while 75% believe it yields higher click-through rates.
So if you are an outlook user, you can use mail merge in outlook function to personalize your emails.
But do you know how to do mail merge in outlook to increase your productivity?
Well, don’t worry. In this blog, we will walk you through the best ways to set up a mail merge in outlook using two methods that boost your email efficiency and productivity.
- Traditional method
- Professional method
The traditional method for creating a mail merge in Outlook is done with 2 tools, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Word. This method is longer than the professional one thus, it eats a lot of time.
This method relies highly on Microsoft Word so make sure you have the latest version of it.
Step 1: Prepare your email document
- Type the body of your email in Microsoft Word that you want to send to your recipients.
- Go to Mailing tab>>Start Mail Merge >> E-mail messages.
Step 2: Setup your Mailing list in MS Word
- Go to Mailing tab>>Select Recipients >> Type a New List
- Enter the details of your recipients like their First name, Last name, Company name, the industry they work in, etc.
- Click Ok
Step 3: Prepare your Merged document
Add customized content to the email message
- Go to Write & Insert Fields group>>Mailings tab>>Address Block.
- In the Insert Address Block dialog box, choose a format for the recipient’s name as it will appear in the email.
- Click OK to insert the merge field.
- In the Write & Insert group, choose Greeting Line.
- Choose the greeting format you want to use from the Greeting line dialog.
- Click OK to insert the merge field.
- Click on File >> Save to save your email.
Step 4: Send your Mail Merge Message
- Choose Preview Results, and then choose the Next or Previous record button to make sure the names and addresses in the body of your letter look right.
- Choose Finish & Merge >> Send E-mail Messages.
- In the To box, choose the name of the email address column in your list.
- Add a subject line in the Subject line box.
- In the Mail format box, choose HTML (the default setting) or Plain text to send the document as the body of the email message.
- Choose OK to run mail merge.
That is the end of the traditional method. After all these steps, you would be able to send the personalized email to your recipients
Unlike the traditional method, the professional method is time effective and easy to adopt. The professional method of mail merge in Outlook is used by salespersons, marketers, HR and various email experts for making their email outreach more productive.
Follow the simple steps to set up a mail merge campaign.
1. Signup with SalesHandy using your Outlook account.
2. Open SalesHandy web-app.
3. Go to Email Campaign>>New Campaign in the top right corner of the screen.
4. Upload your list of recipients by clicking on the Choose File button. You can add up to 2000 recipients in one click.
5. Write your email with the merge tags that you have in your mailing sheet.
6. Click on the plus (+) sign to add follow-up stages to your email. You can automate these follow-up stages according to your recipient’s behavior. Choose the type of recipients you want to send your follow-up emails to from the Not opened, Not replied and Regardless conditions.
7. After adding the follow-up stages, it’s time to schedule your email campaign. Choose your desired time zone and set a time gap between two emails. Click on schedule campaign to automate your email campaign according to your convenience.
This is it. That is all you have to do in order to send a mail merge campaign with SalesHandy. With this professional method, you can save hours of your time and be more productive.
If you are in doubt whether this works or not, we assure you it does. You can take a 14-day free trial and try it out for yourself. No credit card or payment information required.
Video on setup mail merge in Outlook
Document Tracking feature has been discontinued.
Benefits of professional method
- Effective and efficient: If you send a mail merge campaign with the professional method, it will take around 15 – 20 mins depending upon your mailing list. If you send the same email manually it will take you around a whole day or maybe more.
- Personalization: The reports of our white paper study showed that emails with personalized subject lines received 33% open rate and 6% reply rate as compared to 17% open rate and 3% reply rate for the emails without a personalized subject line.
In short, if you personalize your subject lines and emails, it doubles the chances of it being opened.
- Track unlimited emails: While using SalesHandy for doing a mail merge in Outlook, you can track the open and reply rate. You will receive real-time notifications when your recipient opens your email and increases in reply count once they send you a reply. This will help you in analyzing the recipient’s behavior towards your email.
- Schedule email campaign: While doing a mail merge in the traditional method, you have to send the email as soon as you set up your campaign. But with the professional method, you can schedule your email according to your desired date and time. You can also select from 40 different time zones to get better outcomes.
- Automated Follow-ups with conditional triggers: When you use the professional method with SalesHandy to do a mail merge in outlook, you get an option to automate your follow-ups up to 9 stages.
No need to revisit the same email thread again to send your follow-up emails. These follow-up stages can be automated using conditional triggers.
The conditional triggers are behavior-based triggers that help you decide whom to send your follow-up emails.
- Data and Reports: SalesHandy provides recipient engagement data like open rates, reply rates, template success rate, etc in its dashboard after you finish your campaign. You also receive the performance report for each campaign stage after it gets complete. You can analyze these reports and get a perfect sense of what kind of email works for your target audience.
Limitations of mail merge from outlook
- Number of emails per day: The major limitation with mail merge campaigns in outlook is that there will be a limited number of emails that you will be able to send in your campaign. It depends on your email service provider. However, with the professional method, you can add multiple accounts to your SalesHandy account and schedule more campaigns.
It is not advised to send lots of emails from one account in a day as it might trigger the attention of spam filters. Following the best practices to avoid spam filters will help you land your emails in the primary inbox of your recipients.
- Mailing list: This, technically, does not fall under the con category but it depends. When you send a mail merge campaign to your recipients, you might need a mailing list that consists of information about your recipients. Information like their names, email addresses (of course), business name, the industry that they work in, the problem that they might have, etc. The more the merrier. You might have to dig hard for this kind of data and sort it out according to your requirement. This is a small effort you have to do to make your business grow and expand boundaries.
Also, we recommend building your own mailing list instead of just renting or buying email lists from third party seller. They are full of spam email ids and false data.
You must have read both the methods of how to do mail merge in outlook and understood the pros/cons.
I hope you could have decided which method will be more productive and efficient for you.
If you have any doubts or queries regarding email campaigns or mail merge in outlook, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a team full of experts who will be ready to help you with your problems.
Drop a comment below on how you liked the blog. Thanks for reading. Until next time.